Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014, don't gooo!

Hey y'all! Thought I'd end this year and also start my first-ever English-language blog with a New Year's blog meme, which will hopefully help me remember all the stuff that happened during this Very Eventful Year (though honestly, right now it seems all that happened happened in America).
I'll end this post with strategically picked nice pictures that I took during Christmas in the hope of luring y'all here to visit me, which would mean I wouldn't have to pack my stuff and come see you. Because I really hate packing. I really do.
Anyway, here goes

1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Hmm, well, travelling alone, going to the US, experiencing jet lag... and explaining that Estonia is not Narnia was also kind of new to me :D
2. Did you  keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Yes! I made two resolutions and kept both of them! Don't know about next year though, I'm pretty happy with where I'm going anyway.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A bunch of my Facebook friends did (which is kind of telling, since I don't have that many friends on Facebook). And a most adorable baby girl was added to my extended family, so I guess yes.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes, my grandfather.
5. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
A Master's degree! And more upper body strength :D (though I wish that every year and it never happens)
6. What countries did you visit?
Got ice cream from Latvia a couple of times, though I'm not sure that counts. And then of course America. I also spent a very dazed and confused hour in an airport in Oslo.
7. What date from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why:
Erh, I guess August 3 when I left home and arrived in New York, August 14 when I arrived in Charleston and fell completely in love and saw dolphins for the first time and August 19, which was a Tuesday and a midnight and a good one at that. 
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
There were quite a few. Beating my last year's time at a running event (also one of my new year's resolutions). Translating my second book (I don't care what they say about the outcome, doing 230 pages in less than two months IS an achievement). And well, keep coming back to this, but, the whole studying abroad experience, which made me push my boundaries so far I still can't find them. 
9. What was your biggest failure?
There was one pretty humongous failure. Let's leave it at that.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
There were a couple of colds like every year, nothing major. But I did injure my wrist lifting up my huge suitcase and I still cant' hold anything heavier than a cup of tea in my left hand.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I really like some of the stuff I got for my friends from America. And I'm still kind of in love with my new running shoes. Which I haven't used for a while, but they're so nice to look at!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
There are so many people who did awesome stuff this year! My mum for starting her Master's, my best friend for taking over international conferences, my friends in my home town for continuing making a conscious effort in turning this town into a better place... honestly, what amazing people I have in my life! 
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Definitely not a fan of those anti-gay activists who have been really vocal in Estonia this past year.
14. Where did most of your money go?
To America :D
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Honestly, I feel I spent the whole first month in Charleston so really, really, really excited about EVERYTHING (seriously, I got ridiculously excited about big wooden benches!) I feel I've spent my entire life's worth of excitement.
16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
Actually, there are four: Ingrid Michaelson's Girls Chase Boys, that I listened to so much in the spring I thought my ears would fall off. Stolen Dance by milky Chance, because it will always take me back to that very first road trip we took to Myrtle Beach. Willst du by Alligatoah for the same reason and also, because it made me feel like I can speak German (though I know that's a lie, but I did manage to learn the chorus part and I'm oh-so-proud of myself). And also George Ezra's Budapest, because you know for you, uuu, you, a-dibi-du ;)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? I'd say equally happy. And a little sad.
ii. thinner or fatter? After 'Murica, I'm temped to say fatter, but I don't know. I guess I was definitely more in shape a year ago.
iii. richer or poorer? Surprisingly, not that much poorer. Definitely not richer either.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Written my thesis. I don't know when, but it would have been a smart thing to do. And read more books!
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Obsessing over stuff I have no control over.
20. Did you fall in love in 2014?
Yes.
21. How many one-night stands?
None!
22. What was your favorite TV program?
It's actually on YouTube, but I'm sooo happy I found Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No one I know personally. I have developed a serious dislike for a couple of public figures, though.
24. What was the best book you read?
Sadly, I didn't read all that many books this year. But Dostojevski's Idiot was definitely one worth mentioning.
25. What did you want and get?
I got to see Savannah! Something I'd wanted to do since I was 12.
26. What was your favorite film of this year?
Nothing really stands out. But Rocky Horror Picture Show is my favorite film every year and I got to see that plenty of times.
27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
It was the most eventful birthday week I have ever had! There was shooting and sushi and Rocky Horror and a surprise party and going out and a most wonderful birthday picnic with a bunch of most wonderful people and humongous balloons and Spongebob party hats and awesome unicorn gifts. And after I got home I had another birthday with my two oldest friends with a movie and the BEST PIZZA IN THE WORLD and baking gingerbread cookies. I was so blessed! Oh, and I turned 17, of course
28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Owning a crystal ball that would tell me that all the amazing friends I made and the ones I had before will stay in my life forever!
29. What kept you sane?
It would be a little presumptuous to say I was sane to begin with, so I'll let that one pass.
30. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hmm, John Oliver. And Mika.
31. Who was the best new person you met?
I think it's a little too soon to answer this question. But I'm gonna go with all of the unicorns and Thomas.
32. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014:
Being overly confident totally pays off
33. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I'm just following the road for a walk in the sun.


 Tallinn!



 My pile of gifts this year
 I can finally dress alike with my "little" sister! Maybe now people'll believe we're related
 Winter scenes from Tartu







 My alma mater
 I must say, I've seen a lot of places with Christmas decorations, but Tartu is still my favorite


No comments:

Post a Comment

Vana-aasta õhtu blogimeem 2019

1. Mida sa tegid aastal 2019, mida sa varem teinud pole? See aasta oli uute asjade suhtes üsna erakordne. Peamiselt meenuvad viis asja: 1....